Sunday, April 4, 2010

Run the Monument 10K

Picture this: Me. Running. and Running. and Running. Running for 6.2 miles. And in all actuality, I don't think 6.2 miles are that much to run, I mean it's only for an hour or so (unless you are some speedy-ass people and run it in oh 24-46 minutes). I'm sure you can find other ways to mindlessly spend an hour and forget about those wasted hours weeks, months or years later. However, I don't think I'll easily forget running the Ukrops' Monument 10k.

So..I signed up in February for the race, thinking that'd be plenty of time to train...oh about 6 weeks until race day.

5 weeks till race day: Still haven't run.
4 weeks until race day: It's cold man, no running.
3 weeks until race day: a 3 mile run. That's normal.
1 week until race day: 1.5 mile run..it started to rain and I had to turn around.
2 days before race day: hmm...I should do some running, 4.5 mile run. K, that's it until race day.
Race day: Amazing what adrenaline and determination to finish will do!

It was a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful race. I had my playlist bumping, the spectators were awesome, the weather a little chilly but sunny and the turnout grand! It took me a while to get in the groove but I was dead set on never walking, never stopping. It wasn't until around mile 3 that I'd gotten into a rhythm and as I crossed the finish line, I felt as if I could have kept going.

I'm not runner. And I can't say I enjoy running. But I do enjoy crossing that finish line. Over 37,000 people signed up to run that race, and I was one of the 30,000 that showed up on race day. It was wild and most enormous feeling.

So, I think I'll start signing up for other races, 5Ks, 10Ks, 15Ks..leading up the next race on the list: A Half-Marathon. BRING IT!

1 comment:

  1. i'm glad you finished the race! i can imagine how tough it must have been, especially running 4.5 miles the DAY BEFORE! but kudos to you. as far as time, you should aim to leave it all out on the course next time and be huffing and puffing for breath once you cross. i think you can do it.

    ReplyDelete