Monday, April 5, 2010

Make a Wedding Cake.

When an opportunity presents itself, you've gotta take it! Who woulda thought that someone would have actually ASKED ME to make their wedding cake. I figured one of two things for this bucket list item: a) I'd be asked to make this cake years down the road after a few classes or something or b) I'd end up making a wedding cake just for snorts and giggles (and have a whole lot of people over to eat it!)
But, when my roommate was in wedding planning mode, she and
her now-husband, sampled my cream cheese chocolate chip cake with cream cheese icing and nonchalantly said, "Do you want to make our wedding cake?" I think at the time I thought she was kidding and maybe she even thought I was kidding when I said that I would.

And it certainly was a true opportunity presenting itself because to my knowledge she didn't even know that this was an item on my list! Knock knock, it's me opportunity!
So finally the days withered down until wedding time and my kitchen was bustling as were the dining room and my mind. Everything was planned out: baking days, ingredient layout, utensils, etc. The cake was white cake, homemade dulce de leche, and Italian buttercream.

A couple of things: Italian Buttercream ROCKS! Fat-free dulce de leche is good, but not as great as the regular stuff and Betty Crocker white cake mix is TERRIBLE, never use if must use cake mix...Pillsbury all the wayyyy.

I had originally made a white cake from scratch that the wedding party had liked but to replicate that recipe to make a three-tiered cake that fed 150 people I realized could not happen with my awesome but household KitchenAid stand mixer. We decided to go with cake mix and I mistakenly chose Betty Crocker. Gross.

















Wedding day: Cake made. Cake safely transported. Cake assembled. Cake presented. Cake Cut. Cake Success. And here's to happily-ever-after.
Bottom line: I felt extremely honored to be able to make a cake for someone's wedding. It's a testament of their confidence in you and their appreciation and enjoyment of your work. I'm no Ace of Cakes and it's a ton of work. But I'd DEFINITELY do it again. Just not anytime soon.


3 comments:

  1. Nice work, D! I'm gonna help you cross some of these off the list. Let's talk about which one is next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. huh, who woulda thunk it. great job with that cake. a pretty nice design too. i'm definitely impressed. it is a pretty huge thing for them to ask of you since it is their wedding cake and it is an event that hopefully will stick with them for the rest of their lives. and you came through with flying colors. congrats. now, on to the next one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a pretty badass accomplishment...how long did it take? are you like the adventures of julia and julia?? how much did it weigh? you're like ace of cakes, except localer... when's your next wedding cake??

    btw, i'm really proud of you for creating and more importantly living your bucket list... oh and documenting it in this fashion. it's crazy how much web 2.0 changes peeps' ability to share their world with friends n fam.

    i wanna be like you when i grow up. no joke....

    loveya...

    now stop thinking you know everything......cuz you just might...can't believe i wrote that.. shut itttttttt......

    ReplyDelete